Monday 16 September 2013


Happy Onam to all my readers. Hope you all are having good times with your family :) You may wonder about the picture, it was a just a time pass painting which I made.. thought of clicking a picture of it with my recipe :).Here I come back with the yet another Onam special recipe “Pazham Pradhaman” - Banana Payasam. Onam is not complete with Sadya and Sadya is not complete unless it ends with a tasty payisam. This is my payisam from my Amma’s cookbook after my Chakka Varatti Payasam 




The variety of payisam is the highlight recipe among the entire Kerala cuisines. The kerala banana and the coconut is the asset of making any Kerala sweet recipes. Today I prepared the pradhaman with my Amma’s oral instruction, I wasn’t so sure about the taste when I started doing it.But was surprised and felt so proud when my BF just loved it.. Hope you will also enjoy making it. 




Ingredients:

  • Ripe Bananas(Kerala Banana)- 2 Large
  • Jaggery- 1 Cup
  • Coconut Thick Milk(1st milk)- 1 Cup
  • Coconut Thin Milk(2nd Milk)- 1 Cup
  • Pearl Sago(sabudana)- 1 Cup
  • Coconut pieces- half Cup
  • Cashews/Raisins- Few
  • Powdered Cardomom- Few
  • Ghee- 3 Tspn



Method:

  • Steam cook the banana until its baked well, smash it and keep aside.
  • Soak the Sago for atleast 3 hours, pressure cook it for a whistle and keep aside.
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee, when it heats up, add the smashed baked banana and sauté well until the banana melts and nicely cooked(sauté for 5 minutes approx).
  • Add the jaggery to the banana and sauté again, until it melts well and completely mixed with the banana.
  • Add the coconut 2nd milk to it and heats up, until the mixture gets thick(approx for 5-10 minutes).
  • After it becomes thick, add the coconut thick milk(1st milk) and boil it again (approx for 3 minutes).
  • Add the cooked sago/sabudana to it and boil it again for 2 minutes.
  • In a separate pan, add ghee, and when it heats up add the coconut pieces, cashew and raisins and sauté until it becomes brown.
  • Add the cashews to the payisam and stir well.
  • Add the powdered cardamom to it and give a stir again.
Tips:
"The exact taste comes only if you use the kerala bananas.

You could adjust the jaggery if you want to reduce or increase the sweet."



Tagged: ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment