Tuesday 15 October 2013

Imagine a spicy dry fish curry with curd rice!!! I bet no other non-vegeterian recipes could get that taste. Anyone will crave for it when served hot, or the best way of all is serving it on the day next after its cooked, believe me it tastes awesome. Its similar like how you make a fish curry/meen kuzhambu. You can try making it with any kind of dry fish, and you will love it when it’s served with hot white rice.

           You could use any variety of vegetables, but brinjal and the drumstick are the common veggies used.I still remember how good my Ammuma prepares it, as the flavors and aroma will remain in the hand even you wash it. It is most commonly prepared in coastal villages. Some people have a loathing to dry fish, however some just love it just like me:)




Ingredients:
  • Dry Fish- Cleaned (half Cup)
  • Tomato- 1
  • Small Onion- Few
  • Brinjal/Brinjal- Half Cup
  • Tamarind -(Lemon size)
  • Chili Powder- 2 Tspn
  • Coriander Powder- 2 Tspn
  • Turmeric Powder-1/4 Tspn
  • Green Chilies- Few(Sliced lengthy)
  • Garlic- 6 Pods
  • Curry Leaves-Few
  • Fenugreek Seeds- ¼ Tspn
  • Gingely Oil- 4 Tspn
  • Mustard Seeds-Few


Method:

  • Keep the dry fish in hot water for about 10 minutes to remove the impurities.
  • Extract the tamarind in water,in the same water smash the tomato and all the powders(1 tspn each) and keep it aside.
  • In a separate pan, add the oil,kasuri methi, mustard and curry leaves.
  • In a separate pan,add the gingely oil, mustard,fenugreek seeds and curry leaves, add the small onions,when it becomes translucent add the brinjal pieces and sauté well until it becomes soft and mushy.
  • Add the tamarind water to this and let it boil for sometime.
  • Add the dry fishes and add the rest 1 tspn of powders and let it boil until the gravy gets thicken.


Tips:
"You could add few coconut extract to make the curry more thick.

Adjust the chili powder as per your spicy level."

Tagged:

7 comments :

  1. u didnt mention anything about brinjal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrected now in the method... Thanks for noting it and appreciate your comment as well Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad...I tried your recipe it was yummy!!! I prepared for my friend she loved it...me as well..now she is coming to ma place after years...I'm gonna make it again...have lost ur page...now found it again...:) have been looking for it for long..Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer for your valuable comments it really encourages me... Also hope your friend liked it as well..

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome :) And you deserve it. And Sure my friend loved it!!and asked me several times to make it for her. And I'm gonna prepare it tonight again.

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely receipe . I've tried it so many times and everyone at home just loves it. Thank you for sharing ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for your visit.. Your valuable comments really motivates me...

      Delete